Nutcracker 2009


This post is over a month delayed...but it's better late than never. And at least I was able to blog about the opening night on December 8th.

We survived all of Isabella's 16 performances with flying colors. It is an experience we will forever treasure. I attended all performances in different capacities: as an audience, as backstage volunteer, ballet shop volunteer, and as Club Nut volunteer.

As an Audience

As an audience I had the privilege watch the show several times with people closest to my heart.
  • The first one of course was opening night when I watched with my mom and dad Dennis. My friend, Owen, and her family came to watch as well.
  • The second one was on the 17th with my BFF, Cecile, and her DD and Isabella's BFF, Krystn.
We watched the matinee show after a delightful lunch at Shima Sushi courtesy of Cecile. We ended this memorable day over coffee at Arlequin Cafe. It was hard parting ways after such a special time but Isabella had to go to her class and the evening show after that.
Thanks to my pro photog BFF, our lovely time was captured in beautiful professional photographs. And as if all that was not enough, she designed wonderful layouts perfect for the scrapbook album she made for Isabella. Thanks oodles BFF!
  • The third one was with hubby and the boys on the 19th.
This is yet another special day. I always feel so elated when I have all my babies with me (sorry boys...you know you will always and forever be mommy's babies...even though you are all much taller than mom now). The boys and Russ met us at the ballet school and we picked up Isabella from Club Nut to have dinner at Shima Sushi.
The boys were all so proud of their baby sister. Our boys are not the type to watch a ballet:) It's all for their beloved baby sister. As far as these brothers are concerned, the clowns had the best part in the show.
  • I also got a chance to watch a couple more shows from the box seats as a perk of working as ballet shop volunteer.

As a Backstage Chaperon

Supervising the wonderful young clowns backstage was an enjoyable and worthwhile opportunity. I volunteered so much they all started calling me mom...I was so touched. It was so fun watching these "little professionals" at work in their element.

This is their usual day:
  • They come in to the War Memorial and check in with their Nutcracker badges. Then they sign-in in their appropriate sign up sheet.
  • We then take the elevator to the 6th floor to their assigned dressing room. We wait for a call from make-up.



  • As soon as make-up is ready for them, we make our way down to the basement. They go in to this room that looks like a beauty/hair salon complete with salon chairs and professional make-up artists. The girls apply their own foundation and then they take a seat in any available salon chair, and their respective make-up artist applies the rest of their make-up.
  • Then they move to hair to an available hair artist for their clown hat.
  • We then wait for their wardrobe call. While waiting, the girls pass the time by playing card games. They also get to see Drosselmeyer being lifted up to the stage using heavy duty hydraulics and fog machine.
  • Then they all proceed excitedly to wardrobe as soon as they get the call. They then put on their respective costumes all prepared in a rack with their names on them with the help of the costume mistress as needed.
  • Then their moment comes when they get to show their passion for this art on the big stage. The moment they get off the stage they get "hi-fives" from the other dancers and their teacher.
  • Then they make their way back in reverse order: hair, to take off their hats; wardrobe to take off their costumes; make-up, to clean their beautiful baby faces; then back to their dressing rooms to gather their belongings.
As a Ballet Shop Volunteer

As a ballet shop volunteer, I got the opportunity to watch the show from the box seats. I was even able to get Isabella in time to watch the grand pas de deux with me from the box seat.

As a Club Nut Volunteer
Club Nut is a service provided to the families of the student dancers, organized and staffed by ballet school parents and BRAVO volunteers. It is a safe and fun place for the children to rest, eat and play between their appearances in the matinee and evening performances of Nutcracker.




Isabella had a great time doing arts and crafts and playing twister with her friends at Club Nut.

Other Meaningful Nutcracker Memories

  • Isabella will also remember the day when her 5th grade teacher came to watch a matinee show and brought her flowers at Club Nut.


  • On the same day her teacher came to watch, my bible study group also came to watch during the evening show.




  • There was also one time when I volunteered during a Family Performance Night.



    Isabella and I will always remember helping prepare toys to be handed out to the first 500 children. Then during intermission, I helped serve cookies and drinks in the lobby for the audience. One fellow volunteer gave me a ticket to watch the show. You would think I would be all "Nutcrackered out":)...nah...I could never get tired of those adorable and talented clowns.

No comments: