Learning to Dance in the Rain

(submitted for St. Paul UMC May 2012 Newsletter)

  One rainy day in April 2011, during one of my daughter, Isabella's, rehearsals for the San Francisco Ballet’s production of Coppelia, I learned a lesson on “dancing in the rain”. We decided to take the train rather than our usual drive to San Francisco. We elected to take BART because it was going to be a long rehearsal and I didn't want to have to worry about parking issues. When we got out of the train, it was pouring rain. I told Isabella: "Let's stop at the library and wait for the rain to pass.” She said: "But Mommy, we don't know when the rain will pass. Let's just go for it." So we did “go for it” and toughed the rain. As we were walking the 3 long blocks to SFB, the rain seemed to have gotten worse, and I could feel the water seeping into my boots. I was so concerned about Isabella's feet and tights getting wet. By this time I started losing my peace and getting irritated, opening a door for the enemy to come in. I got upset at Isabella for suggesting to "just go for it" instead of stopping at the library. I was actually upset at myself, but I just had to put the blame on someone else (confession). In her efforts to calm me down, she said: "Mom, remember you always say to enjoy the moments? And this is a rare moment when we get to walk in the rain! Let's have fun with it and we'll always remember it."   Well, I will surely remember that ever so precious moment. I learned yet another treasured lesson from my angel daughter.
 
I was worried for Isabella’s feet and tights getting wet. Well, they did get wet, but the War Memorial Opera House is fully equipped with a washing machine and dryer, and the staff gladly took care of her wet tights. And there was plenty of time for me to take care of not just her wet feet, but also her blessed spirit. We took time to reflect on the priceless wisdom offered by that particular, memorable moment. So as it turned out, my getting worried, upset, and irritated was a complete waste of energies and time. 

This quote came to mind: "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain". 

We can choose to be happy as we wait for the storm to pass.

John 16:33 
"I have told you these things,so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I, Jesus, have overcome the world. 

John 10:10b 
"I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full." 

Dear God, Thank you for sending Jesus Christ to overcome the world so that in Him we may have peace. Thank you Jesus for coming so that we may enjoy life to the full even during the “rains and storms” of life. And thank you for an angel daughter who taught me how to “dance in the rain”.

No comments: