Personal New Year (Birthday) Thanksgiving


(submitted for December 2012 Church Newsletter)

The month of November is a special month for me. Not only is it Thanksgiving, it is also the time when I get to celebrate my very own personal new year...my birthday! With that said, I thought I’d share my “Personal New Year’s Thanksgiving” including some of the things that I have learned thus far over 45 years of a blessed life and over 26 years of equally blessed marriage and motherhood coupled with some of my fave Scriptures and quotes.

Count your blessings, name them one by one, ….see what God hath done! 

Thankful for: 

  • God’s goodness and love (my saving grace....though unearned and undeserved, is always ever unconditional and unending) 
  • Jesus Christ (my Rock and Redeemer
  • Holy Spirit (my Guide and Counselor
  • Word of God (my daily bread
  • Prayer (my lifeline; “oldest form of wireless communication; no busy signal, always available, never a dropped call”
  • Family (my first-hand teachers on love; “The love of family is life’s greatest joy”; “Love is the only thing that can be divided without being diminished”)
  • Friends (my angels on earth
  • Health (my wealth on earth
  • Home (my refuge and shelter on earth; “All the riches in the world cannot equal a home filled with love”
  • Writing/journaling (my reflections and testimonies of God’s faithfulness in my life
  • Quiet time (my time with God; In His presence is fullness of joy - Psalm 16:11
  • Bible Study Group and church (my brothers and sisters-in-Christ
  • The beauty of nature (my favorite art; How Great Thou Art!


Some of my Spiritual Do's and Don'ts: 

  • Don't think of how far we have to go; Do think of how far we've come. (“I may not be where I need to be, but thank God I'm not where I used to be” – Joyce Meyer) 
  • Don't wait until everything is perfect before we decide to enjoy our life everyday; Do enjoy where we are on the way to where we're going 
  • Don't compare and judge ourself and others; Do realize we all have strengths and weaknesses and therefore need one another 
  • Don't take on cares; Do cast off our cares on HIM. (To do what I can, and leave what I can't to God. To let go and let God)


On Marriage: “The gift of weathering the seasons of life together is only experienced when we do not give up in the dry seasons.”

On Motherhood: To embrace the differences amongst/between our children. To notice and to love what is already good in each them. To be attentive and to completely savor every season/phase of their growth. (they grow up fast)

On Life: To be aware and fully enjoy the richness of everyday life; To have an expectant heart....The best is yet to come!!!

No comments: